Berkeley House Language Center teachers have the unique responsibility of helping a variety of students who have high expectations for their language classes. We are looking for experienced teachers who know how to truly teach student centered classes and differentiate classroom instruction depending on the student. Depending on your position, as a teacher at Berkeley House, you will most likely teach a combination of students and types of classes, including:
- Junior High and High Schools: ALT positions (solo and co-teaching), English camps, Staff training, Study Abroad preparation
- Colleges and Universities: English language, Test Preparation, English or skill camps, Culture and communication, Staff training, Community outreach
- Corporate Programs and Business English: Business English, ESP, Presentations, Meetings, Email Writing, Telephone English, English for Socializing, Test Preparation
START DATE: September 2018
- 25-32 teaching hours / a week
- Schedule: Monday – Friday, or Tuesday-Saturday. Two consecutive days off.
- Teaching young language learners and adults
- Administering Berkeley House level checks and helping assign textbooks based on language level and lesson focus
- Keeping track of important lesson details on class Record Sheets. Submitting class and student reports by deadlines
- Attending course orientations and development workshops
- Regularly checking online lesson schedule system for updates and changes
- Occasional academic support office work
- Base Salary: ¥270,000 / month
- Travel expenses to/from work location reimbursed
- Assistance in finding furnished or unfurnished accommodation with no initial move-in fees (commonly required in Japan)
The ideal candidate will be
- In possession of a four-year degree from an accredited university plus a CELTA, TESOL, TESL, or teaching certificate. (Candidates who have an MA/MS in any discipline plus a language teaching certificate are preferred.)
- Have at least two years’ experience teaching non-native speakers of English.
- Have an understanding of English grammar and sentence structure.
- Japanese language skills are not required, but a plus.
Up to twenty hours initial training is required for all Berkeley House teachers. This is to familiarize our teachers with Berkeley House methods, techniques, and materials. To begin teaching, new teachers must give a successful demonstration lesson at the end of training.
Course specific orientations will be held for certain positions. Attendance is mandatory to understand the program, students, and materials. Follow-up training and development is also required based on staff and student feedback.
How To Apply
Please submit the following materials to apply for the position:
- Current CV.
- Cover letter (please indicate where you saw the job posting).
- Berkeley House Employment Applications (1 and 2)
*You will find application forms through our website. http://berkeleyhouse.co.jp/company/employment
*Please send the required materials to firstname.lastname@example.org
Only applicants who submit all documents and pass the initial screening will be contacted. The application process consists of in-person or Skype interviews with the HR Manager, Program Manager, Department Manager, and possibly company President. Candidates will also be asked to present a 30-minute teaching demonstration.
We look forward to hearing from you!